Mormon Temple Cardston Alberta
Image by More Good Foundation
The Cardston Alberta Canada Mormon Temple was dedicated on August 26, 1923, and was the first LDS temple built outside of the U.S. or its territories. However, the story of the Alberta temple began long before that summer day in 1923.
On June 27, 1913, the building of the temple was announced. A groundbreaking ceremony followed the announcement that same day, and construction began almost immediately. The design of the Alberta temple was the first that did not include any towers or an assembly hall. The granite for the temple was hand-hewn from quarries in Nelson British Columbia. The temple has four ordinance rooms, five sealing rooms, and a total floor area of 88,562 square feet.
On August 26, 1923, the temple was dedicated by President Heber J. Grant. The temple has since undergone two remodelings and rededications. The first remodeling was done in the early 1960’s, and the temple was rededicated by Hugh B. Brown on July 2, 1962. The second remodeling occurred in the early 1990’s, and the temple was rededicated on June 22, 1991, by President Gordon B. Hinckley.
Source: Mormon Temple Cardston Alberta